C'ville is a pretty safe place. However we still need to take of care ourselves. Here are some safety tips adapted from UVa police website…
Walking at night
• Avoid walking alone at night. Use the Safe Ride Service or walk with friends.
• Know the Grounds. Find out what buildings are open late where you can summon help if needed.
• If walk alone, tell a friend where you are going and when you will return.
• Stay alert. Keep your mind on your surroundings.
• Use the Blue Light Phones located throughout the Grounds.
• Activate the fire alarm if you detect a fire in a building.
• Exit by the nearest stairway.
• Call 911 or use a Blue Light Phone to notify emergency personnel.
• Attempt to extinguish the fire only if you can do so safely.
• Learn the locations of the emergency exits and fire equipment.
• Always exit the building in the event of a fire alarm.
Party Safety. Remember that partying can be safe AND fun, if you take precautions early so that you aren’t sorry later.
• Let your neighbors know how long the celebration will last.
• Follow all local fire laws.
• In the event of an emergency, call 911.
• University of Virginia Police Department
• Women’s Center Sexual and Domestic Violence Service
• Charlottesville VA Crime Statistics (2005 Crime Data)